Sunday, June 20, 2010

How can I lighten a too-dark hair coloring job?

I colored my hair yesterday, covering a couple inches of graying new growth. I was also trying to even out the color of the rest of my hair which had two colors from a previous style. My gray tends to be very resistant and I color that area first, pulling the color down to the rest of my hair at the end.



My hair turned out a fabulous medium brown (my natural color) on the top 3 inches of new growth. But the rest of my below-the-shoulder hair is essentially black. It looks very unnatural.



Is there any safe and non-damaging way to lighten the new color?



How can I lighten a too-dark hair coloring job?

wash it with a handful of baking soda and then wash with shampoo!



How can I lighten a too-dark hair coloring job?

Other than using bleach or color remover to strip the color out you are pretty much stuck with it unless you want to go to a professional. Remember color will never lift color and putting color over color UNLESS it's the same shade brand



(and omly the last 10 minutes) and such will make it darker....



How can I lighten a too-dark hair coloring job?

i have had a similar experience but i was trying to put blonde highlights in my hair . when i done it i was told that i didnt need to use foil to seperate the rest of my hair from the part that i was trying to higlight . yeat alone i wound up woth spots of blonde that didnt match up with my highlights . i went to a salon to get it fixed the next day . My advice to you is go to a slaon and have them take a look at it and see if they can help you fix it . granted it may cost alot but if you want your hair fixed trust me it will be worth it .



How can I lighten a too-dark hair coloring job?

See a beautician that is very experienced with coloring. Otherwise, try to keep coloring your hair without drying it out. Color your hair every 8 wks or so.



How can I lighten a too-dark hair coloring job?

In all honesty, I have had this happen myself. Simply wash your hair once or twice a day, and it will even out. I promise!



A good tip for next time: put very little dye on the tips of your hair. The hair there tends to be brittle and dry, which makes the dye stick easier.



How can I lighten a too-dark hair coloring job?

I am sorry to hear about your predicament, I know this one ain't fun from personal experience! :o)



You do want to get professional help to lighten hair, or you might end up frying your hair completely. If you fry the hair, it will take years to clean up the mess depending on how long your hair is. You also have to be careful with applying color after a lightening, until the hair grow out/gets cut off, because that hair will be so porous that it will not take color naturally and you might get in the same predicament again.



A good hairdresser might help you find alternatives, such as highlights or changing your cut for a bit, to alleviate the problem somewhat until the overdyed hair grows out and gets cut off during styling.



To avoid the problem with home coloring in the future, use the semi permanent hair color that washes out in about two months. I use Clairol Herbal Essence and am happy with it, but I only have some single gray strands, I am not sure how they work on more abundant gray hair. Anyways, the color will gradually wash out until you dye it again, and you won't have the problem with the tips getting so saturated with color that it looks unnatural.



The other recoloring option is to only apply the color to your roots, but thats a job I leave for the pro's. I dont have the patience for that. You can get good deals in the beauty schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mortgage refinance